Texas Discovery Gardens Mural Contest "Native to Texas" Official Rules
Entry Deadline July 14, 2017
WHAT'S IT ABOUT?
This is Texas Discovery Gardens’ first mural contest! Up to two winners will be chosen and have about 448 square feet of exterior wall space on which to paint. The murals will reflect and showcase our native plants, animals, and insects.
Did you know that Texas is divided into ten eco-regions? Dallas/Ft. Worth is located in what was once Blackland Prairie; it is estimated that less than 1% of original prairies remain in our state.
Our murals will focus on habitat and wildlife of both Blackland Prairie andthe Trans Pecos region, which is located in West Texas. The restrooms are located in our Benny J. Simpson Native Habitat, which represents plants from that region in honor of the life-long horticulturist.
- Anyone with a passion for painting and nature can enter.
- If an entrant is under 18 years old a parent or guardian must provide Texas Discovery Gardens with written permission for their child to enter the contest.
- Texas Discovery Gardens will prime the walls that are to be painted. The artists may submit a supplies list that TDG will purchase.
- Artists must be available beginning the third week of July to begin painting and the murals will be completed by August 31, 2017. Artists will be paid incrementally as progress is made.
HOW TO ENTER
- An entrant may be one individual or a group.
- A color digital image or sketch of the proposed mural design must be entered by email to Haley Estrada at HEstrada@TexasDiscoveryGardens.org or by mail to PO Box 152537 Dallas, TX 75315 by July 14, 2017.
- A statement providing the story and inspiration behind the design and its content must be turned in with the design.
- Entrant(s) must provide their phone number, email address, and full name with their proposed design and statement.
- Alternatively personal information may be entered in the form below and the design may be emailed or physically entered. Design, statement, and artists' personal are all due on July 14, 2017
- Prospective entrants may view our Gardens (where the mural will be located) at no cost until July 14, 2017.
PRIZE AND WINNER SELECTION
Judges representing and picked by Texas Discovery Gardens will choose up to two designs that most closely represent the theme. The winner(s) will be notified on July 15, 2017 via the email or phone number provided to Texas Discovery Gardens. Each winning mural design will receive a $2,500 cash prize and a family membership to Texas Discovery Gardens.